Music and fashion often go hand-in-hand. From the show-stopping glitz of Elvis Presley to the androgynous statement looks of David Bowie and Prince, musicians have long been inspiring our wardrobes. Through this article, we take a look at some of the most iconic trend-setters in the music world and their influence on fashion over the years – from the swinging sixties to the modern day. So, come along as we revisit some of the greatest musicians to have ever hit the stage and the fashion icons they’ve become.
1. Musical Style as Fashion Statement
Music has always been closely associated with fashion. They’ve been two birds of the same feather for many generations, from sailor-style suits with pocket watches to the bouffants of the 50s and the punk style of the 70s.
Today, the connection between music and fashion continues to grow even stronger and permeates all aspects of life. Music has become a way to identify not just with a sound or musical style, but also with a specific look or visual identity.
For many, musical style is no longer limited to just typifying a particular group or subculture. It can also be a fashion statement, bringing into play socio-cultural affiliations as a way of expressing one’s personal identity.
- Hip Hop style is typified by geometric jewelry, logo-covered sportswear like hoodies and baseball caps worn back-to-front.
- Disco puts a retro spin on things, with platform shoes, groovy jumpsuits, and sequined shirts.
- Rock is all about rock-and-roll rebellion, with ripped jeans, leather jackets, and of course, the ubiquitous black T-shirt.
There’s no denying that when it comes to fashion and music, the expression “dress for the part” still holds true today.
2. Taking Cues from Rock Stars
Creative professionals can learn more from rock stars than how to play an instrument or write a catchy tune! Despite the fact that the life of a rock star can be quite unpredictable, they have become incredibly successful due to the beliefs and strategies that have led them to success.
A great way to start incorporating strategies of rock stars into your everyday life is by honing your craft. Make sure that you are giving yourself the opportunity to learn and improve, and don’t be afraid to try new approaches and ideas. Be persistent and remember that it can take an entire lifetime to become an expert.
Here are a few other tips from rock stars on how to be successful:
- Don’t be too hard on yourself. Everyone makes mistakes and frustration can lead to a negative spiral.
- Set achievable goals and actively work towards them.
- Keep up with the latest trends in your industry and take advantage of any new opportunities that you can.
- Never be afraid to take risks. Many successful people have taken risks that have led them to success.
These are just a few of the lessons that rock stars have taught us about success. If you take the time to study the lives of your favourite rock stars, you might be able to incorporate a few strategies into your everyday life and see the same kind of success.
3. Glamour and Glitz in Music
From the many styles of music, glamour and glitz certainly take center stage. The sound channels flamboyant, black-tie affairs, images of red carpets and the bright lights of the spotlight. This is the charm of this music and it, understandably, has been a favorite of many.
The genre of glamour and glitz has been around in different forms for decades. Whether it be a classic swing number or a modern electropop tune, its prevalence throughout numerous eras is a testament to its timelessness.The beats of today have certainly seen some changes, but the structure remains the same. Glitzy jazz and rock melodies twist through the piano chords, offering a steady rhythm for listeners to tap their feet to.
The popularity of glamour and glitz music does not seem to be waning anytime soon. From cabaret show tunes to the funfair energy of a circus, these songs provide the perfect accompaniment to any dancefloor evening, making it a great choice for any special occasion. This genre’s elegant sound has also carried over into the world of film. Tracks from legendary artists such as Dean Martin to contemporary powerhouses like Daft Punk, have been featured in various onscreen productions.
Glamour and glitz certainly have their own allure. Whether you’re at a wedding, a private gathering or settling in for a night of simple relaxation, these songs offer a nice touch to any playlist. Curl up with a glass of wine and lose yourself in the extravagance of glitzy music — it is the ultimate experience of luxury.
4. The Pioneers of Music-Inspired Fashion
When it comes to fashion inspired by music, bright personalities of the classic music scenes were the pioneers. They weren’t afraid to make a statement and used clothes as a way to stand out and drive attention. While trends come and go, their fashion choices were ahead of their time. Let’s take a look at some famous music personalities and their fashion trends.
- Jimi Hendrix: His hippie-inspired style was something that had never been seen before. His characteristic fringed jackets, hats and bedazzled jeans were trend-setters in the classic music era.
- David Bowie: Bowie’s experimentation with makeup, costumes and wigs had a powerful impact in the fashion world. He was a trailblazer and a trendsetter.
- Kurt Cobain: Cobain had a grunge look that mixed flannel plaid shirts, striped sweaters and ripped jeans. He also sported a classic leather jacket often. His clothes were a representation of the melting pot of the punk, metal and alternative rock culture.
- Lil’ Kim: The “Queen Bee” rapper sported an iconic style that was recognized throughout the music world. Her bold streetwear with lots of leather pants, crop tops and boots made her a trendsetter of the rap scene.
These fashionistas, and many more, have made their mark in music-inspired fashion. It is no surprise that people still take inspiration from their iconic looks today. It is also a testament that when it comes to fashion, musicians often set the trend.
5. Music Icons as Fashion Consults
Class, Style, and Effortless Cool: The world of music has always been ahead of trends, and today’s style icons are no different. Many of the biggest and most popular music superstars are consulted for their unique senses of style and fashion. From Britney Spears to Beyoncé, these trendsetters have solidified their influence in fashion circles and have defined entire eras with their signature looks.
Being at the top of fashion has become a way for modern musicians to express themselves, showing off their individual style and confidence. Whether going for glamorous or edgy, fashion savvy artists such Kanye West, Rihanna, and Lady Gaga have undoubtedly made an impact on the fashion world. Taking inspiration from new and vintage trends is how they manage to stay ahead of the rest and bring a fresh face to established ideas.
For unexpected, daring, and sometimes whimsical looks, music icons have also become fashion consultants for others, such as:
- Janet Jackson – Her signature aesthetics have been heavily sought after for years.
- Lil’ Wayne – His streetwear has inspired a wave of imitators.
- Madonna – Her adaptation of classic and subversive looks has provided continual inspiration for modern fashion.
- Nicki Minaj – Colorful couture and daring designs have made her a fashion force to be reckoned with.
These music icons have taken fashion to new levels, and their influence can clearly be seen on the streets and in the industry. Everybody loves to look good, and nobody does it quite like them.
6. The Music Fans Fashion Phenomenon
The last few years have seen a seismic shift in the way that music fans dress. Music festivals, gigs, and even the everyday fashion of music fans has been transformed. Thanks to the proliferation of social media, it has become commonplace for stylised and overtly musical fashion to be embraced.
A classic example of this is the current trend for hip-hop fashion. Tracksuit tops, loose trousers, jewellery, caps and trainers are soon becoming the norm. Whilst the hip-hop influence is noticeable, there are other genres that have become popular in the fashion world. The rock and metal scenes have developed a range of combat boots, ripped jeans, vintage t-shirts, and accessories, giving fans a range of options.
The range of retro clothing, festival-ready ensembles, and even street styles are being embraced by music fans all over the world. Brands have begun to cater to this new audience, with countless special edition lines, limited editions, and merchandise bearing the logos of iconic musicians.
- Hip Hop Style – tracksuit tops, jewellery, caps, trainers
- Rock and Metal – combat boots, ripped jeans, vintage t-shirts
- Retro – including bomber jackets, polos,checked shirts
- Festival Ready – printed t-shirts, bangles, body glitter
- Street – over-sized silhouettes,basketball jerseys, shorts
Today, music fans fashion and style is wider and more diverse than ever before. Thanks to social media, it’s easy for musicians and fans alike to make their mark on the fashion world and ensure that their individual style take centre stage.
From Rihanna to Madonna to David Bowie, there is no shortage of musicians who have made an impact on the fashion world. Fashion icons of the music world have inspired generations with their unique styles and innovative approaches to fashion design. While music itself is forever timeless, the impact these musicians have left in the world of fashion is sure to be remembered for years to come.